HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Bullet and Pyrodex Pellets for Traditions Pursuit II Muzzleloader
Old 05-11-2011, 07:14 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Just an update: I ended up going with the 300 gr xtp bullets and triple 7 primer caps you suggested pluckit. I decided, however, to go with triple 7 powder by Hodgdon instead of the pyrodex pellets. Everywhere I read that powder gives more consistent results. Also the gun shop refused to carry Pyrodex pellets - they say they are too corrosive. The gun shop guy also said the triple 7 powder has a shelf life of a few years where as the pellet sticks I had from last year may not shoot the same one year later. So now I need to learn how to load this gun. I bought the needed equipment for that task. The gun shop guy said 85g of powder is equivalent to 100 gr of sticks so I will probably use 85 gr.

I asked the guy about the primer caps - he said that muzzleloader caps provide proper heat. Regular shotgun primer caps can provide too much, resulting in inconsistency.

Now I want to get a scope before I actually do any shooting. Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited by MZS; 05-12-2011 at 03:09 AM.