HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - is baiting deer/elk illegal in oregon?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Muley Hunter
Giant Nontypical

I was taught to hunt 60 years ago by my dad. You don't have to guess how he taught me to hunt by my attitude.

I understand that spot and stalk, or still hunting may not be popular in some parts of the country. However, I feel too many use tree stands, because it's easy, and they could use other methods. A tree stand combined with bait seems like it would be no challenge at all. I'd like to see some of them doing it try something else. They might love stalking an animal.

I didn't always live in Colorado. I was born and brought up in Mass. Lots of tree stands there, but me and my dad would always still hunt, and we got our deer every year. I carried over the method everywhere i've hunted since. I would freeze to death sitting in a stand. I don't know how guys do it. I hike and scout everyday of the year. It keeps me in shape, and is very enjoyable. It's still like hunting, but without the gun. I still try and get as close to the game as possible during the off season.

If i was a stand hunter what would I do. Go sit in a tree all day? Ok, that was a joke, but you see what I mean. getting out and hiking is fun. Hunting should be too.

I like to give the game a chance. Elk or deer I like to come down to it's level. Let it use all it's senses to spot me. I have to use all my abilities to fool it and get close. For me. That's hunting.

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I'm just passionate about my method, and want others to try it to see how much fun it is. It's not always the kill guys. Getting it should be a big part of the experience too.

I'll shut up now.