HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What I wish I knew when I got started....
Old 04-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Prairie Wolf
Fork Horn

Simplify!

You don't need to try 400 different powders and bullet combos and wear out your rifle trying to find the best load. Unless you want to.

Try to find powders that will work in more than one caliber.

For example. Varget, or H4895, or IMR8202 will work in the .223, the .30-30, and and in the .30-06. There will be a powder that will work in both the .45 acp and the .38 special. The .357 might need its own, if you want full power loads. This way you can avoid the mess I have created. I have probably 15+ partial cans of different kinds of powder, never enough of each kind to work up a good load. I can try some loads, and then I run out of either the bullets or the powder. So buy larger quantities of fewer components, especially if you already know your gun likes a certain bullet.

The best part about this is you can buy powder cheaper in 8lb jugs, and therefore you will not be switching lots or running out as often. The bad part is there always seems to be a new powder you will want to try.

Don't try to chase an extra 25 fps. Neither you nor your target will know the difference.