HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - slug gun question?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 01:34 PM
DeerandbearhoG
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by snapper1982
no i am sorry buddy you are wrong the "groves" as you call them are actually the reason that they are called rifled slugs and it is in fact rifling added to the slug to stabilize it in flight. they are not to allow constriction and i have never found or heard of a remington slug barrel with ic choke here ya go http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=225133594 (however i have been wrong in the past) but all that does is say that i am right in the fact that they do not want you to shoot anything over ic.. anyt constriction will distort the rifling and can cause the slug to not fly right.. if they shoot better with a tighter choke then the gun companies would make them with tighter chokes but they do not for a reason and that is because the possibility is there that bad things can happen. there doesnt need to be alot of constriction, but that has been my exp. that tighter choke throw slugs more consistently, especially w/ fosters(sluggers), they are very soft/hollow and squeeze down easily, the brenekes are harder, but Ive even fired them, from a siaga full choked 12ga w/ no problem,, todays shotgun barrels are built to withstand heavy steel shot, so lead aint gonna hurt them, once I forgot to take my turkey choke outta my browning and fired #2 steel through it, I was lucky but even then, nothing happened i have seen many guys shoot out of mod chokes and full chokes and have only seen 3 split so i am not sayin that it deff will happen but it is a possibility that does not exsist if you shoot slugs as they should be shot.
That is what you have always believed but you, like many others are wrong , here read and learn. (scrool down to where it says wild hog hunter, and read the info below http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot46.htm

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 04-16-2011 at 03:56 PM.