HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Morning Hunt of Afternoon Hunt?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 07:01 AM
doetrain
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the afternoon hunts from 3:00 to 6:00,reason being this is when I as a first year hunter last year had all my success when calling and getting Toms to come in to my decoys. I asked some expieranced hunters why I had such success not being a very good caller or knowledgable hunter. They told me that due to the lateness of our season here in Indiana many of the hens had been bred and were nesting of looking for nesting sites so the Toms had fewer hens to choose from. During this time of day they will respond quickly and come in not being hung up with a bunch of hens. I had 7 Toms 4Jakes and 2 mature birds come in not more than 5 to 10 minutes of calling at this time of day.
I used a slate call first then a mouth call doing yelps and cutting hen calls only alternating them to sound like more than one hen. I set up 2 hen decoys and a Jake. I shot the Jake because the first mature bird gave me no good shot. The second mature bird I called in for a youth hunter,her first hunt and Turkey. See my Album if you want to see the birds. Good Hunting to ya!