HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 8 Longbeard Mafia
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 05:44 PM
ksfowler
Nontypical Buck

Well here is the picture from yesterday. It is not the best but you can only do so much by yourself.

A good friend and I went out this morning to the same spot. He has never shot a turkey with a bow either. So I let him have the first shot. Before we went I told him that he was in for a pretty good show and they did not disappoint us. I brought the pretty boy and pretty girl and two other hen decoys. The first birds to come in were two jakes that thought they ran the place. They strutted around the decoys for 5 min. I was able to get some good pictures of them since neither one of use wanted to shoot a jake. Then two nice toms came in and ran the jakes off then came in to deal with the pretty boy. My buddy drew back but the toms wouldnt stop moving, they were bumping the decoy and pecking at it. He finally got a shot off but he was off his mark and ended up hitting its fan! A short time latter a whole herd of turkeys came in, there was two nice toms in there as well. Every one of them ran into the decoys including the hens, once they got there the toms wasted no time getting to the pretty boy. they were bumping him and purring and pecking him like the previous ones. This time my buddy drew back and made a perfect shot one one of the toms. As soon as he shot i drew back and put the pin on the other tom. But i got caught up in the moment and rushed the shot and ended up shooting a nice piece of wood. Oh well it was one of the better hunts I have been on in a while. I will remember that hunt for a long time!

Here are some pictures of the jakes...