HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ugly Betty did her job
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 11:12 AM
huntnma
Nontypical Buck

Default Ugly Betty did her job

I got up at 1:00a.m., sitting there all alone just shaking from head to toe with excitement, it's time to go in, woohooo...I knew I was going to screw this up if I didn't calm down...got out to my area, the water level was ridiculous, no one state should get that much rain the day before a turkey hunt...no gobbling until late... I hear it waaaaaay in there, but I heard him,so I yelped as loud as I could and did some cutting so he knows I was there...just about then some wood ducks flew in...then 2 hens and a male bird flew down, thought it was game on, turned out to be a jake, God's April fools joke on me, lol....they fed around forever, then 2 does came in and the jake and the one doe got into a kicking match, it was too cool...a lil gator hung out ...then blue heron made it's way in too...I knew the big bird was making his way to me but he was hung up, finally I got agressive and he triple gobbled and he was coming in on a string,the jake went to meet the gobbler...a few minutes later they came walking in, he was gobbling and strutting, it was beautiful...I had brought my rangefinder with me because it's so open and I wanted to know the distances before....he got to 60yds., the jake's constantly next to the tom, finally he made it to 50, he's open, just a few more steps, he's at 40 yds.,I pulled the trigger, he dropped, I see him go to flop, shot him again, i wasn't taking any chances, lol...kinda over reacted there...went to chamber my third shot and ejected it into the river, lol...thank God he was dead, lol.The jake hung out for about 5 minutes after and another wood duck flew in and out, lol.It was like I was in a hunter's dream, all those critters and my gobbler coming in gobbling and strutting.I just knew with those many eyes , I'd be busted but I wasn't
I was waiting for GobblerD to come by in his airboat but that never happened,lol...Toby met me and we went to retrieve him, couldn't do it alone, I don't like alligators, lol
Had him doing the same thing 3 mornings prior and i even got him on video the day prior, soI have before and after pics
10 1/16'' beard
3/4'' spurs
15.8 lbs

the wood duck taking off