HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 8 Longbeard Mafia
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Nauticstar
Spike

Hunted an area that is all Riverswamp with sloughs all over. I walked in the dark until I reached a slough and decided to stop because I didn't know how deep it was. I backed up and sat against a huge Cherrybark oak tree and waited for it to get light. Everyone says I'm the luckiest guy in the world and I am starting to believe that when a turkey gobbled about 75 yards in front of me. He was roosted over the slough and it really scared me when he gobbled the first time. He was gobbling in his own at a rate of about once every 15-20 seconds. Really hot. As it got lighter I could hear several hens with him and decided not to call. I figured I had a 50% chance they would fly down on my side of the slough. Well, when flydown time came some of the hens pitched down on my side about 100 yards to my left. When this happened I decided to call to let him now I was over here! He cut me three straight times so I put the call down and got my gun positioned for a shot. He finally flew down and landed about halfway between me and his hens. I softly yelped to him and he started my way. He got to within about 40 yards and was standing directly behind a big oak tree. He gobbled several times and finally walked out but was just barely visible, so I decided to wait. Just then he decided to head back to his large harem of hens. I was so scared he was about to get away so I yelped at him. As he walked back towards then hens, he angled away and finally got out from behind the tree. I clucked to stop him and bombed him at about 38 yards. I walked over and saw his spurs and got a very big smile on my face. I hope everyone appreciates the pictures because the mosquitos were about to eat me alive. They are horrible this year and it will be a short season for the majority of hunters around here. Tough to hang in there with them. Headed to Florida tomorrow for three days then off to Oklahoma for Rios. Keep the reports coming in guys. Have a great season.