HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting equipment necessary for deer hunting in PA?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Big Bullets
Fork Horn

Default Hunting Gear

In the west they have a saying: "Cotton kills". The point is that jeans are cotton and are worse than useless once wet. If you are clod you will be miserable and not be paying attention to hunting.

You can buy really warm and inexpensive clothing as military surplus. Much of it is new. I have purchased it from Sportsman's Guide and from Cabelas. If you go to Cabelas, they have a bargain or sale area. I picked up a medium pair of wool pants and a heavy pair for about $40 total. Maybe I just got lucky. I have some of the modern hunting clothing but, wool is hard to beat particularly if you remember to buy bigger sizes so that you can layer under them and even put one over the other. Wool retains much of its insulating power even when wet. You can also find surplus boots. Look for the ones that are air insulated. They are a bit clumsy but; your feet are never cold as they are true arctic gear(If your feet are warm, you are warm). Your local Army-Navy store (if they still exist) will also have some of this stuff.

I spent a few buck on a leaf suit that I put over my clothes. It absolutely fools the animals.

Practice with your rifle. Try different ammo to see which groups best.

Best of luck!