HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - WY DIY Archery Elk
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 12:07 PM
KeystoneBob
Spike

Thanks guys for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I was kind of surprised on the comments on how busy these areas were during the archery season. I really didn’t expect to hear that. That is one of the reasons we decided to move out of Colorado and there OTC licensing system. I figured going to WY and a draw system would help alleviate some of the competition. I know it’s probably a matter of personal opinion but just how busy is busy?

After doing some more research I discovered a few things. Maybe you guys could comment. Concerning the bear situation in the Wyoming range you mentioned Wheatley. I spoke with a couple of outfitters who said that while the Griz may pass through the area it wasn’t within their home range and I shouldn't be concerned at all with the bears like you would farther north above Jackson and towards Yellowstone. I spoke with the bear biologist out of Jackson and he confirmed.

Trapper, Was wondering what your comment on the Sierra Madre range being spectacular was all about. It is about 5 hours closer for me in drive time so as long as there are good elk numbers I may consider going there. My immediate concern after looking at a map is that it doesn’t appear very remote and there seems to be roads everywhere. Probably not much room to roam and get back away from it all. Another concern was that I would have my space limited as a non resident by the wilderness areas in these units. What do you think?

When I looked at the Big Horns the terrain looks much more forgiving (as do the Sierras and Snowies) than that of the Wyoming range but I do see a couple issues for us there. Limited room to hunt. There are only two units (36 & 37) that we can hunt with a general tag. Also as non residents we cannot hunt the wilderness areas that take up a fair chunk of the western side of both of these units. So unless you tell me I am incorrect in what I viewed on the map as far as the Big Horns I'm probably going to lean more towards the WY Range or the Sierras / Snowies. Hope to hear back with your comments. Thanks.