HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 9 - Last Call
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 07:10 PM
hycohounds
Fork Horn

well this weekend was alabama's youth hunt.saturday dawned cold. i had frost on my truck. i had a girl(hannah) from down the road with me. we didn't hear anything. we check a couple of properties. i took her back to camp around 10am. my buddy keith was there with his son. he just came up for the morning. hannah was tired so she hit the camper. i told keith about a plot that i always saw turkeys in during deer season. he asked me to ride with them and check it out. we parked at the gate and walked in. i got up about 100 yards ahead just in case the turkeys were there. i rounded the corner to a strait away thats about 150 yards to the food plot. as i eased up to the corner i saw a bunch of turkeys in the plot. i backed out and had keith and his son take a peek. the road had a slight bend and it was in the shadows. i eased keith and son up to about 100 away and set them up just off the side of the road. i slipped into the woods and back to the corner and set up. i started calling and they started coming. it was several hens but they had atleast a couple of jakes. i think they spotted keith and son because there was one load putt then a flurry of wingbeats. i couldn't really see well. this morning hannah and me was in the same plot. after the fog burnt off, we heard one gobble behind us. i'm sure it was a jake but i didn't care. the young'uns can shoot what they want. i started calling to him. then another one gobbled about 100 off the food plot but i could hear hens. so i tried to copy the hens and get them to check me out and maybe bring the gobbler. it didn't work out. right before we left we heard another gobble 3 times so i plan on being back there friday morning with my gun.we heard about 15 gobbles this morning. tuesday i'm headed to some public land close to work where a not so bright hunter told me he heard 2 friday. he even gave me details. good luck to the rest of you thats hunting...........tony