HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - big snake!!!
Thread: big snake!!!
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
The only good snake is...
Thats just showing ones ignorance about the subject. If I may interject on the subject, I was a herpetologist at one time working for the Fla. Wildlife sanctuary in Melbourne, fla., and have been bitten by 4 rattlers and a cotton mouth moccasin, the cottonmouth leaving my left index finger deformed and numbness. I also had a 21 ft Burmese python that I use to do seminars with, and also hold the Pygmy rattler record of 42 inches, so speaking, I know somewhat of the subject of snakes. For one thing, snakes don't hear, they just feel vibrations, they smell by sticking their tongue in and out picking up air particles. Snakes are cold blooded, that being, if the conditions are cool, they tend to be lethargic and you can almost step on them without them striking, much less rattling. People who think that rattle snakes rattle before biting, this is a misconception, but maybe in the ole western movies. Their are harmless snakes that vibrate their tails when alarmed and when they do it on dry leaves it sounds like a rattler. A copperhead which is actually a highland moccasin will do this also.
If you listen to all these ole wives tails your going to believe that they actually start chasing you.

Bobby