HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - carry weapon and thinking out side my own head
Old 02-23-2011, 06:29 PM
bigbulls
Boone & Crockett

thanks guys, all good info, I am going to do some research into florida's gun law
PM me if you have any questions. I live here in FL and while I am not an attorney I stay very familiar with the CC laws in Florida.

callin bs on a glock, (with a round in the chamber, with no other safety than on the trigger ) not going off on accident. its a repeating occurrence...i have a customer, he was putting his away, a 27, and it went off, bullet hit him in the hand/wrist, went all the way through his arm and out his elbow. This isnt to mention where people get shot in the leg, hip and foot.
If their firearms are in good working order and are not modified this is next to impossible to happen with out pulling the trigger.

i pulled my side arm, and racked the 9 in the mag and the one in the chamber all in 7 seconds.
I know you said you carry loaded but if a person meets up with someone that is prepared to kill in order to get what they want and they try that rack the slide to chamber a round crap and they will be dead. Seconds and fractions of seconds count when you are fighting for your life.

Carrying a gun unchambered for self defense is like carrying around a brick for self defense. One's just as useless as the other.

Carrying an older 70 series 1911 is not anything like carrying a Glock or other modern striker fired hand gun. Assuming your firearm is in good working order a glock, XD, M&P, etc... is not going to fire unless the trigger is pulled and held to the rear. I understand that a safety is nothing more than a mechanical part that can fail that's why I said "in good working order" and the odds of that actually happening are so minuscule that it isn't a concern I would have.

Even modern 80 series 1911's and Kimbers and S&W's can not be fired with out the trigger pulled to the rear or the grip safety depressed (Kimber & S&W). They incorporate a firing pin block just like Glocks and other striker fired pistols that prevents the firing pin from striking the primer in the event you drop the gun. You must first pull the trigger or depress the grip safety to get them to fire.

For S&W, Ruger, CHarter Arms, Taurus and other DA revolvers go. They all incorporate some type of transfer bar safety. Unless the trigger is held to the rear while the hammer is falling the hammer can not strike the firing pin. Modern revolvers are not like the revolvers of the past where a hammer fall could strike the primer.

I even keep my single six revoler resting on a empty chamber. Why take a chance???
If your single six is a "new model" single six then it works just like Rugers other revolvers do with the transfer bar safety. The trigger must be held to the rear while the hammer is falling in order for the firing pin to be struck by the hammer.

If a person is carrying a modern hand gun then there is no reason that they should not be carrying a firearm unloaded.