HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - carry weapon and thinking out side my own head
Old 02-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
I want to carry, this is why I got my permit, I just want to carry safely and make sure I do not hurt someone with a accidental fire.
Having a good holster AND A GOOD PISTOL/REVOLVER will prevent accidental discharges (AD).

That said, from a safety standpoint, it's not that hard to qualify as a good holster. A SAFE holster will protect the trigger guard, so nothing can snag and accidentally trip the trigger, and it will protect the manual safety (if your gun has one) to prevent the safety from being bumped, rubbed, or snagged out of SAFE position (including rubbing on the holster itself). For a 1911, I also prefer to have a strap to block the hammer fall.

Then, for a SAFE holster to be GOOD for CCW, it should do all of the above, while carrying the weapon tight to the body in a concealed position, yet still have the weapon readily accessible. The old military flap holsters for the 1911 were incredibly safe, but they sucked for concealment and accessibility. Carrying a gun loose in your pocket is accessible and concealed, but it's not very SAFE.

Make a mental check list as you look at different holsters for your guns, if they pass all of the checks for: covers trigger guard, covers safety, securely holds pistol in position, easily concealed, easily accessible, etc etc, then try it on, if not, then move on.

Safety and ease of holster selection is one of the things that makes the Glock great (for those people who want to carry a "full size" CCW). A simple gun bucket that secures the barrel and covers the trigger guard is all that's needed to carry a glock safely. A 1911 on the other hand, typically requires a full length holster to secure the barrel/frame, cover the trigger guard, protect the manual safety, and block the hammer. A MUCH bulkier holster than required of a Glock.