HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - carry weapon and thinking out side my own head
Old 02-21-2011, 05:35 AM
bigtim6656
Giant Nontypical

How I dress depends on where I am at, here in indiana 90% of the time I have jeans with a belt, t shirt maybe a jacket depending on the weather. Normally my shirts are worn out not tucked in, if I wear shorts normally their the athletic type with no belt, I did order some blue jean shorts for the ability of wearing a belt when I carried that way. In indiana I should be ok, if I can not conceal due to wearing a t shirt only and no jacket or open shirt I can open carry, with a smaller gun I think my shirt would cover the gun with no issue. I doubt the 21 will ever me concealed this way.

My parents rented a house in florida, I am looking at summer here in indiana then back to florida in oct or nov till april may and back here for the summer. I am a college student and can take my fall and spring classes online, the next two summers my classes are on campus only
Down there it will be shorts 90% of the time, Tshirt, no jacket and so on. This is where I see the shoulder holster working, I figure I can wear a button up shirt with it open, not going to make it 100% hidden but I think it will fit the florida law which says no open carry, if I am not mistaken.
I love the glock, and have been looking and planning on a 9mm to match my 45. My thought is get a 9mm compact or sub compact with a shoulder holster, use this setup when I go to say miami, or somewhere I need to hide the gun with thin light clothes on.

When I go fishing, hunting or for a drive into say the everglades wear the glock 21 on the belt covered by my shirt. My understanding is open carry is ok in florida if your going fishing, hunting or any other outdoor activity.

I want to carry, this is why I got my permit, I just want to carry safely and make sure I do not hurt someone with a accidental fire.

I am open to any type of carry holster that will hide the gun and be a good holster, do to my size and a bad shoulder I doubt on in my back will be a good idea, This is why with say the compact or sub compact 9mm I think I could wear the belt holster and hide it with a t shirt or long button up shirt.
Originally Posted by bigbulls
#1 Forget about the manual safety on the striker fired guns like Glock. They aren't going to fire unless you pull the trigger. Keep the gun loaded and chambered and your finger off the trigger and you'll be just fine.

#2. You're all over the place. You need to calm down and think about what you really want in a carry gun. Or if you even want a carry gun because you don't sound like you do.

How do you dress on a daily basis? What kind of shirt do you typically wear? Do you wear your shirt out or tucked in? Do you wear jeans, slacks or shorts?

How you carry this firearm will be greatly dictated by how you dress on a daily basis?

What size and/or type of firearm you should carry are going to be largely dictated by how you dress AND how you are going to carry on a daily basis.

You mention shoulder holsters a lot on other threads but unless you wear a suit or other type of jacket daily they aren't practical.