HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - carry weapon and thinking out side my own head
Old 02-20-2011, 08:08 PM
bigtim6656
Giant Nontypical

Default carry weapon and thinking out side my own head

When I bought my glock, I told myself, my dad, my gun shop and everyone here this would not be a carry gun, I had no need, want or desire to even think of getting my permit. The day I got my glock 21 I though alittle big for carry, I ant going to so no biggy, a year later, I should get my permit, ohh dont need it no reason to, 6 months later, you know it would be nice to have when I hunt just in case, IE those mean animals in the woods, drunk or high hunters upset I am in a spot near theirs, or you never know someone trying to steal my truck, ohh well no real need for it.

3 months later, someone robs the guy down the street and the next weekend my mom and brother walks in on someone breaking in our house. The next monday the app was off to indy.

I got my permit and have carried for a few days, I see a few issues with the glock and with the thoughts of a new carry gun smaller then the 21 I think I should look outside of glock for a few reason.

Reason one
the glock 21 and all glocks have no safety, so I have had concern with carrying with a round chambered, I have issues not having one in the chamber
second reason the glock 21 is alittle big for a carry gun.

Now the reason for a diff caliber is I can not find 45s any where, so I can see going say 9mm which would allow me more of a selction of ammo to choice from, my local walmart has 12 boxs of win 9mms 100 round boxs, no 45s

Second is two cals one a large 45(the 21) second a smaller 9mm, so choices in how and what I carry

My personal choices for the new gun, but not really for a given carry reason just what I want are

Ruger p89, had one before and want one again
berreta m9, I just want one
S&W 357 good carry gun good round and I want one
glock 9mm, good carry gun diff cal then my 21 and I want one

Some I think would work good for carry but not a most have just cause I want one are

springfield xd, hear good things
ruger sr9, here good things
tauras 92fs (m9 wonnabe) here good things

I am open for other options and going to start handling some at gander and such so feel free to give me your thoughts.

Looking for something with a option to find ammo often, 9mm and 357s seem to be in stock at most wal marts, like having a second carry gun in a dif size and cal then the 21

I would like one with a safety that can be switched off quickly