HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Am i nuts to feel like this?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

i don't know anything about your specific rifle-scope combination. Certainly a .30-06 shooting 180 grain bullets is up to the task of hunting elk.

If your rifle shoots reasonably accurately, it will suffice. Reasonably accurate means putting 5 sequencial shots into a 1.5" diameter circle at 100 yards. Distinguish between YOUR capability and the rifle's capability. If the rifle can do that, you can kill elk with it. You may need to improve your marksmanship -- for example marksmanship from the field positions you will employ when shooting elk -- but the rifle will do the job.

I don't know anything about your scope, but I can identify the properties that you need. The scope must be free from fogging in the presence of temperature changes and a wide range of humidity. Again, distinguish between fogging INSIDE the scope (can't have that) and fogging OUTSIDE the scope (condensation on the lens -- wipe that off and you are good to go). The scope must be robust to stand up to the hammering of rifle shots. If you have had the rifle at the range enough to know whether it shoots into a 1.5" diameter circle at 100 yards, you probably know whether the scope can hold up to the shooting. Scopes that are NOT up for hammering will not shoot to the same point of aim. I had a cheap scope on an inherited rifle that had this problem, and I discovered that the whole aft portion of the scope could be readily wiggled from side to side 1/8" or more. That was NOT a good sign of mechanical integrity. Basically, if the scope is free from internal fogging and it consistently shoots to a single aim point, it will get the job done. Higher quality scopes may have advantages in lower light conditions, may have other desirable features such as adjusting magnification from long distance shooting needs (10x setting) to short distance shooting needs (3.5x setting). These are nice and useful features. But do remember that hunters long ago still managed to successfully hunt elk with scopes that were considerably lower quality than today's scopes.

Remember, the purpose of the rifle-scope is to ethically kill an elk at a reasonable hunting distance. It doesn't have to be pretty or expensive to achieve that objective. And success in hunting is more than likely going to depend more on other factors than the difference between a modest rifle-scope combination and a higher quality rifle-scope combination. For example, being in shape so you can hunt hard for 5 or 7 days in a row. For example, getting up early enough in the morning to walk in the dark to your choosen hunting spot by 30 minutes before legal shooting light. For example, by actually using your rifle-scope with skill and marksmanship when taking the shot (said in another way, people using expensive Weatherby rifles scoped with expensive Swarovsky telescopic sights are not immune from being poor marksmen and missing the shot when the 8x8 400+ monster shows up).

Last edited by Alsatian; 02-17-2011 at 11:08 AM.