HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Possible problem with 35 Whelen loads...
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Cinaed
Spike

Arrow Possible problem with 35 Whelen loads...

Possible problem with 35 Whelen loads Or the problem could be a headspace issue in my rifle, a "new" Ruger M-77 in 35 Whelen.

I noticed the problem when I first obtained ammunition for the rifle, a couple of boxes of 200 grain Core-lokt Remington ammunition. Mainly, they fired ok and I shot some decent groups. But there would be the "misfire" or dud that would only have the presence of the firing pin strike, slightly off center. At times the duds would be 2 to 3 in a row before I would get a fire at this range session.

I then purchased 100 rounds of new Remington 35 Whelen brass, unprimed, and proceeded to load several with CCI large rifle primers. If I recall correctly, none of those loaded with CCI primers have been misfires or duds. Some of these were used again, the cases properly fire-formed to my rifle's chamber.

I purchased a new set of primers, this time Remington was the brand used, and again the misfires or duds appeared at my shooting range session. Now I should also add that I load and shoot a Browning BLR in .358 Winchester, and used the Remington primers in those also, and every single cartridge fired when I pulled the trigger.

So, with this set of circumstances in hand I took my rifle to a local gun shop and asked for their recommendation as I am doing here. They suggested that the firing pin in the Ruger was exiting the bolt sufficiently to cause ignition, but that the headspace in the chamber was allowing the cartridge to move forward enough to cause the misfire. Thus, I should send the rifle back to Ruger and allow them to change barrels.

I am inclined to believe the problem is my Remington primers however. Some of the fire-formed cases mentioned above also produced misfires with the Remington primers. Again, every cartridge loaded in the Browning BLR fired regardless of the primer used, CCI or Remington. The gunshop did note that the Remington primers were made tougher to fire than others, especially Federal primers. But since I had a problem with a box of new ammunition that I should send the rifle back to Ruger since a new rifle should be able to shoot any brand of factory ammunition.

I should add that I have loaded my own for several years, but I don't have a lot of expensive equipment. I have mainly loaded for the 30/06 with my Lyman 310 Tool, and have recently acquired the Lee Portable press and used the Lee standard rifle dies in 35 Whelen and .358 Winchester to load my ammunition for these rifles.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.