HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - At what age can my dog start hunting upland birds?
Old 02-08-2011, 04:49 AM
4evrhtn
Typical Buck

There have been times my shorthair has been in some thick nasty stuff and locked up on point and since I have trained mine to be released by touch instead of verbal command I have had to go in after him and physically release him during testing. the other option would be to command "Leave It" and possibly get DQ'd if he then repositioned and pointed the same bird twice. I love watching my Pointing dog work but sometimes due to the training and what it is I am doing with the dog I also must work and get in the briars myself.

Getting back to the topic.... I would spend more time training this pup and getting him to be rock solid in his obedience before actually hunting with him. I stress the steadiness factor because of safety reasons when hunting in the field. A pup who is just left to go on its own and learn to hunt for itself without the basics understood first will become more difficult to control later in training and more time will be spent undoing what the dog learned he can do for himself. If you have a lab that you want to run through a field and locate birds and catch them or bust them out of cover and hope the bird is within range when it flushes that is one thing but I prefer to know the dog understands he is supposed to hunt within range and already have contact with birds in a controlled setting before turning him loose and seeing what he does.