HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Seating Barnes expander after 1st shot
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 06:48 PM
builder459
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Yep...Stop shooting when the bullet isn't firmly down on the powder...You will either blow the gun up or put a bulge in the barrel...

I don't like 777 because of the crud ring, prefer Goex or Pyrodex...You may have to go with 2 damp patches or even a brush between shots if you wan to stay with 777...You need to clean the barrel enough that the bullet will smoothly slide down all the way...You might also try a Crush Rib sabot as well...
X2 on what NCHAWKEYE has just told you.bullet has to be seated in the same "spot" on top of the powder every time you load or you risk potential injury to yourself or damage to the rifle.what are you swabbing with? wet a patch with windex/ alcohol mix, which is what i use with 777 or just plain windex.be sure the patch is totally covered with whatever you choose but not sopping wet. squeeze excess moisture out of patch.center it on the cleaning jag and slowly work it in then back then in,couple inches at a time. until you can feel it hit the crud ring. same procedure when you hit the crud ring, till you finally touch the BP.now back it out same way, flip the patch and repeat.1 patch is all i have ever needed, when swabbing between shots with 777. until your sure you are doing it properly, you might want to pull the breech plug (BP) and have a look. i suspect your not completely removing the crud ring,which is leaving a air gap between the powder and the bullet...DANGER. DANGER...i like the windex alcohol mix the best, since it drys real quick..you need a witness mark on the ramrod also, to be sure your load is seated in the same spot every time. be safe and have fun Ray