HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Saved me a ton of money on gear
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Valentine
Nontypical Buck

Default Saved me a ton of money on gear

It saved me a ton of money buying hunting gear over the years. It was because I started in basketball at the age of eight. We had one size basketball. It didn't matter if it was a little big; a little wide; a little heavy. It was one basketball; the size fit everybody. You practiced and got shooting one basketball. And you learned how to shoot one ball.
The habit stayed with me for years. I'd find hunting gear and stay with it. I stayed with one rifle for some twenty years. Two bows in fifteen years. Didn't need fifteen calibers for deer hunting; a new and different bow every year; a change in bullets every other year; a new rest and sight for every hunting trip.
I'd always remember the old basketball of practice and practice.

It was frequent practice at the rifle and pistol range. A return to archery, after some years. Again practice and practice, where that in itself became a hobby besides archery hunting.

In fact, when I got back to archery practice, I'd take ten shots at the target. Then move to the side of the house and shoot ten foul shots, with a basketball.
It was both different and the same. Concentration and the same kind of form, over and over.

That basketball when I was eight, saved me a bunch of money.