HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 30-30 Pistol Bullet Choice???
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 04:17 PM
shooter50
Fork Horn

Went to range yesterday with 125 gr sierra sp loads with H4895. The accuracy was roughly 1.5" at 75 yards but slightly tightened up with powder increase to 1.125". Im showing no signs of pressure and plan on shooting max charge on saturday and playing with the OAL to try to tighten up the group so I can move on out to 100 yards. I emailed Sierra and they said the 125 gr spitzer Im shooting will be a little hard to get the bullet to expand at 30-30 velocities they reccomend I shoot the deer through the shoulder if I plan to use the bullet or switch to the 125 gr flat nose hollow point. I am planning on chronographing the loads on saturday and email them again. I believe that if I can get the bullet to 2400fps and I believe the bullet should expand, but they know more about the bullets than I do. I know the nosler ballistic tip will open up but I cant stand the ballistic tip (bad experiences). I like a good ole flat base sp bullet and hopefully after i chronograph the loads I will get a better answer from them (I have several boxes of the bullets and hate to have to spend anymore money, wife gonna kill me!)