HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - diy alaska moose hunt
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 06:22 PM
AK Jeff
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by joemontana
the pristine adventure thing what exactly does that entail i have never seen a place that plans your hunt how does that work whats it include besides a map no disrespect im just trying to learn. thanks a lot for all of yalls info.
Like Larry's website says you get...

http://www.pristineventures.com/adve...t-planner.html

Your Hunt Planner Includes:
  • An exclusive area to hunt away from crowds, which will be chosen to suit your skill level.
  • Complete topographical map coverage (1:63,360 scale) of your hunt area printed on waterproof map paper, which includes satellite images of the Put-In and Take-Out location.
  • Economical and competent bush service with air charter reservations made by us.
  • Hunt Planner CD, which has numerous resources, including raft rental video instructions, product features video, multimedia presentations (Powerpoint), and scores of additional resources to help develop realistic goals while hunting Alaska.
  • Detailed Hunt Plan that describes and outlines your area selection and logistical plans, which also includes all the supporting resources and detailed instructions for direction before, during, and after your big game hunt, which offer resources for game meat donations, shipping antlers and meat home from Alaska, independent research tools, and much more!
  • Raft Rental reservations (if applicable)
  • Project Bloodtrail: Field Care of Alaska Big Game DVD DVD
  • 30-min VHS on How To ID A Legal Bull Moose (ADFG video)
  • Float Hunting Alaska (volume I) DVD, which is a 2-hr documentary on How-To Float Hunt Alaska
  • Wilderness Taxidermy DVD (3-disc set), covers everything sport hunters must know about field taxidermy, sealing, transporting, and exporting trophy parts inside and outside Alaska. Nearly 3 hours of How-to instruction and Float Draggin' Alaska!
  • 20-page booklet on “What-To-Expect” from your adventure, which covers all the good and bad aspects of hunting in today’s Alaska
Trust me, Larry's advice is fantastic. Hunting Alaska is far different than hunting Montana (which I've done many, many times). Logistics, and understanding where and how to hunt moose are paramount. Alaska is huge, and there is a vast amount of public land, but what many people don't understand is that a lot of the state is effectively void of game. Keep in mind that Alaska is four times the size of Montana, and the moose population is about the same as Montana's elk population. However, unlike Montana's elk which tend to live in herds in rather concentrated areas, moose are solitary animals that spread out over huge areas. Even great moose country usually only has 1 or 2 moose per square mile, and most of that square mile is dense forest, brush, and riparian jungles. Larry flies a lot and keeps tabs on where the good areas are that receive limited pressure as opposed to areas with poor moose populations or excessive hunting pressure. There are a lot of air charters out there that could care less about your success. They'll gladly charge you an arm and a leg to drop you somewhere that either has few moose and/or a pile of other hunters. Whether you ever come back is of little concern to them because they have a mile long waiting list of ignorant outsiders who think there's a 60" bull behind every tree in AK. Larry utilizes quality charters that actually care about their reputation, and some won't even book you unless you book through him in order to keep areas from getting overhunted. Tactics for successful moose hunting are also very different than hunting elk in Montana. Here's a link to Larry's moose hunt last fall with two other guys. Note that all three of them took bulls, even though they were in close proximity to another group of hunters that didn't get a single one. That's proof that knowing what you're doing is extremely valuable. Just getting out into the woods is only about 10% of the battle.

http://www.pristineventures.com/foru...eHunt2010.html

Just for the record I'm not compensated by Larry at all for promoting his service. I've just known him for years, I've hunted with him, I've bought all kinds of his gear, and I've learned a heck of a lot from him. He's a stand up guy that does a tremendous amount of work to see to it that his clients are well prepared, have an enjoyable trip, and ultimately have a good chance for success. Just don't ask him for advice on how to drink whiskey. He's pretty weak in that department. His fee might seem like a lot for logistics, but considering it's very likely the difference between success and failure on what is invariably an expensive hunt, even DIY, it's really pretty minimal.