HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - At what age can my dog start hunting upland birds?
Old 01-27-2011, 04:49 AM
jackassflats
Spike

He is at the right age now. Make sure he comes back when called and just take him out and let him find birds. The fine tuning comes later.

Right now he has to learn to have fun and get used to gun noise. He is like a toddler taking his first steps.

I train pointers, so I don't know what's involved in springers. Think I remember, when they are on a bird you make them stop until they are supposed to flush the game.

My pups learn obedience from the day they are starting to wander around. Cookies and more cookies to come back, check cord and at about a year check cord and e collar. And gun shots, start at a distance or with a starter pistol. Two 2x4 short ends slapped together are cheaper. Use them at any situation, if he eats, sleeps or just has fun. This noise has to be part of his life.

The best trained and bred dog will not hunt to his full potential if he dreads the noise of the gun going off. JMO