HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - diy alaska moose hunt
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 02:33 PM
joemontana
Spike

thanks for the info jeff.i guess didnt ralize to be dropped off by a plane was so expensive.we had planned on driving so if we got lucky u wouldnt get killed by the freight of moose being flown back.if someone would tade a hunt there would be no money exchane i would just like to swap like i do with buddies around here i take freinds on my place and they take me but i dont see this happing for alaska but it would be nice.we enjoy taking guys out with us for their first elk during the rrut its just as good as shooting it yourself.i just luv being in the backcountry packing in on horse and aint a slole around getting the elk is iceing on the cake. thanks for info . joe

Originally Posted by AK Jeff
Keep in mind that driving won't likely save you a lot of money. Gas in Canada is heavily taxed, and you'll have to pay for Canadian firearms permits as well. If you rotate drivers and only take pee breaks it'll still take you the better part of a week of driving round trip. That said it is a scenic drive, and the Alcan is generally in decent shape. Just watch out for the frost heaves in the Yukon.

Here's an idea of what bush flights cost.

http://fortymileair.com/pricing.htm

$1795 base rate per hunter for moose, plus $900 per moose if you're successful. That has your budget pretty maxed out (assuming it's $3k/person) and it doesn't include the $500 in licenses you'll have to buy.

Be careful about trying to trade hunts. Alaska has strict laws about bartering hunts as compensation for people that aren't licensed guides. It's still an option, but you have to keep really good records of how costs are split to show that you didn't "compensate" somebody that isn't licensed.