HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How much worse is loading with a plastic sabot?
Old 01-19-2011, 04:52 AM
Gm54-120
Giant Nontypical

Sabots vs PowerBelts are like pellets vs loose powder.

You have a lot more options with sabots and loose powder for much less money unless you want to buy premium bullets. Most premium bullets you will get what you pay for, unlike PowerBelts that have a limited design velocity. CVA even "now" says to keep the impact fps low for them to work correctly.

There is nothing wrong with other full bore options too like BullShop or No Excuses conicals. They are a fraction of the cost of a Powerbelt and just as deadly even with low powder charges. They also have a far better sectional density than almost any PowerBelt and that can translate into far more down range energy. A 245gr PB has a SD of about .140 which is terrible compared to most 50cal full bore options. If you like PBs i would stick with offerings over 300grs and powder charges that keep them well under 1800fps.

I do like the 300gr Plat in 45cal just for the reasons i mentioned and i got a bunch at close out pricing. Even that heavy weight 45cal turned into a grenade with heavy charges and it has a pretty good SD.