HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to extend my effective range?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 09:56 AM
jamesaf2870
Spike

Default Practice

Originally Posted by swampcollie
not trying to coach from the couch here... But that is one of your problems with making good shots at longer ranges. You are 'drive by shooting' i did it for years and did fine out to about 25 yards... Same as you... But i tended to miss way low beyond that.

When i started shooting indoor spots... My flaw became apparent to me.... I was shooting 270s out of 300 and never getting any better. In the last two years... I really spent time getting rid of this practice... And i'm now a 295/300 average shooter.. And thats with my hunting set up. I'm no world class shooter.. Just a regular ate up bowhunter. I killed two deer this past season over 40 yards.... One at 41 and one at 44. I practice back to 78 yards regularly. My max range that i feel comfortable with will vary day to day... Just depends how i'm feeling really and what the conditions are. I'm much more comfortable shooting in the woods... So i'm more likely to take a 40 yard shot through a narrow window than i am with nothing but open bean field... Strange but true.

I still approach my target from slightly underneath... But i have learned to hold and aim on my target... I find that follow through and driving that arrow to the target are the biggest keys to my success/failure on any given shot. I used to drop my bow arm cause i wanted to watch.... Don't do it. Follow through... Keep that pin on that spot until you hear the arrow hit!
this good info. Some other things would be is the bow perfectly fitted to youare your arrows spined right,and is your bow tuned correctly.not saying any of these arent right with your set up but you need to start ther before you start on you. All this said find someone that can coach you not someone on the internet but someone that can stand ther and tell what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong. Just my 2 cents