HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New broadheads, they any good?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Bob H in NH
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
Is it always possible to tune your bow to put broadheads and target points in the same spot?

My bow was sighted in for field points, and the broadheads were hitting 6 inches left at 20 yards. So I called a pro archery shop, and they said adjust the arrow rest. I asked why this would make the broadheads hit in the same spot as the field points, and they said "it is hard to explain but it just does." So I did what they said, and now my broadheads are on target but my field points are off six inches to the right at 20 yards, just like I figured they would be.
Are your field points and BH the same weight? Same arrow etc?

The reason you move the rest is because the arrow isn't leaving the bow in a straight line, with field points, the fletc corrects this quickly, with BH, the blades fight the vanes so the arrow stays more on the line you start it on.

If you are hitting to the left with BH it means you arrow is coming off the bow pointing to the left, so you have to move your rest towards the field point (right) VERY slightly. This will effect both impact points of field points and BH. however they should not be closer together. If so, do it again. If not, put it back.

All this assume you are not getting fletch contact with the rest and are getting a clean release, and the arrows are properly spined.

to your original question, thunderheads are great, tried and true and pretty easy to get to fly right with field points.