HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Perfect Powder Measure... not so!
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Kerrdog
Spike

Originally Posted by Vapodog
Your powder measure should be capable of dropping varget to within +/- 1/4 grain or better....If you're not doing that well then something is wrong.

Here's another technique:

assuming you drop and weigh ten consecutive drops and know what the deviation is....lets say it's a total variance of 1/2 grain....(+/- 1/4 grain)....and you want to drop 70.5 grains.....

set the measure to drop 70-70.5 grains....such that the max drop is what you want and the minimum is 1/2 grain low.....

Then just load the ammo.....

I guarantee you that you'll never be able to tell the difference between those cartridges and the ones you weighed 100%.....and at three hundred yards....neither will anything you shoot!

I actually did this with the 22-250 for a prairie dog shoot and it worked just fine.....all the ammo was good to go!

Since then I've moved to the extent possible to ball powders which measure closer to +/- 1/10th grain

Thanks-

I will trickle the powder to get the precise weights, and I will attempt to be more consistent when dumping the powder. I actually experimented with that already, but I wasn't sure it was the repetition/consistency factor, or the nature of the beast.

Vapodog... I think I actually "backed" into your method in an indirect way. I can't say I was within .5 grains since I didn't check to that extent, but I did check to make sure they didn't exceed the max recommended load.

I think I'd like to reload some of the rounds that I messed up on... rounds that I had crimped. Can anyone recommend a bullet puller?

Thanks,

Kerrdog