HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The best deer rifle
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 08:34 PM
OldBuckstalker1187
Spike

Well, cerdull I don't really know what the best rifle for deer is. There sure are alot of them out there. But I will go ahead and tell you some of my favorites. 1st- a good ol' Winchester 94 chambered in 30-30. This little lever action has been harvesting whitetails by the millions for over 100 years now. 2nd- a good ol' bolt action rifle ( doesn't really make a difference of brand so long as its good) chambered in 30-06, 308, 270. All are great whitetail rounds, and the 30-06 has stood the test of time also. 3rd- the good ol' savage model 99 chambered in the .300 savage. most forget that this mild cartridge still has plenty of gusto to knock whitetails deader than a doornail out to 300 yards. These are just "some" of my favorites as I am a firearm enthusiast, and its hard for me to pick just one favorite. I honestly don't believe that there is a " best", just maybe a best for you. There has been alot of wildcats, magnums and new cartridges that have came along since the 30-30, 30-06, and .300 savage. and I believe they work great on deer, I don't discriminate against any cartidges. Do I think some are overkill? Possibly, but possibly not. It depends on the way you intend to use that rifle and if a magnum is needed for your situation. By the way, the 7mm is an awsome flat shooting round, great for whitetails ( and larger ) it will shoot better than most of the guys that pick it up and pull the trigger. Alot of people might put you down or act suprised that you are shooting a 7mm at 15 years old. Well a good freind of mine who is much younger than me uses the 7mm and LOVES IT, infact he does incredible with it. It was also his first gun. He was a beanpole when his dad bought it for him. But he, along with his 7mm has stood the test of time. He will outshoot many older shooters that have milder cartridges. He is grown up now and has long since been out of college. I remember when he first got his 7mm, he said it will be the ONLY rifle he will own.......well, I just seen him about 4 months ago and needless to say..........it looks like alittle bit of my "enthusiasm" has rubbed off on the young buck, and now he has a pretty substatial collection himself. Don't let nobody put ya down because of your age or your size. Just keep doing what you do and enjoy the sport and the time you spend with others that share your same interest. God bless and good hunting, take good care of that 7mm

Last edited by OldBuckstalker1187; 12-17-2010 at 08:38 PM.