HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Property Lease
Thread: Property Lease
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 04:07 AM
VAhuntr
Nontypical Buck

Your regional VDGIF office is the Region 4 office in Verona. You might try contacting them to find out what local farmers have applied for damage permits. Notice I said applied for. If they will tell you this information, I would start with the landowners who have been denied....they may be more willing to let a group lease their land.

Timber companies are another good potential source. Just be aware that they may be cutting timber during deer season. One method I have used is to use my local GIS maps and find medium size farms and go knock on their doors. I get a lot of "no's" but every once in awhile you strike it lucky.

Finding land to hunt for free is hard to do anymore....at least where I'm at on the VA/NC border. Last year I saw an ad on Craigslist for the area I hunt in. The posters of the ad were willing to pay $10-$15 per acre, for tracts of land with 1000 acres or more. FWIW in the lease I'm in, we pay the tax bill every year, keep the trash picked up on the side of the roads, and maintain property lines.