HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Benelli SBE II vs. Beretta Xtrema
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 07:36 AM
DrHouse
Spike

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
The only problem with the Vinci is....one day down the road it is going to bug the crap out of you that you spent that much on a shotgun and you don't have 3 1/2 inch capabilities. I never shoot 3 1/2's but I can if I want to.
This was one of the toughest things for me to get over. I never shoot 3.5's, infact I killed more geese this year with 2 3/4 Win HV #2's than any other shell I was shooting. You probably know that better than anyone as your a guide! Plus I also have a Mossberg 535 with every barrel under the sun, so if a time comes where I want a 3.5 I do have the capability.

It came down to feel for me, I'm 5'6 and the Vinci just handled better than any of the other guns. When I went to the store I was dead set on spending the cash and getting either the Beretta with the Kick off or the SBEII. As soon as I held the Beretta I knew it wasn't for me, and I had a real tough time deciding between the SBE, Maxus and Vinci. Each one of them has their pluses and minues, I'm still young so recoil isn't a deciding factor. I looked at how they felt, how 2 of them shot and the fit and finish of the gun.

I'm a large advocate of simplicity in engineering which is why I struck the Maxus off the list. I don't need or want to clean a gas gun, plus it was to darn pretty looking for me to willfully beat it up!! If it was for upland birds I would have bought the Maxus Hunter model and dealt with the cleaning since I only do it once in a blue moon.

Ksigtuck - The gun is very very easy to take apart and put back together. Once you do it a few times you will have it down, there's white dots on the gun to show where and how all the pieces click together. It's also much easier to do in your living room than in the middle of the store, putting the forearm piece on is cake when you have the floor to use and not a glass pistol case! Cleaning it is a joke, everything is easily accessible and it only takes around 5 - 10 minutes once you have done it a few times.