HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - M-O-N-T-A-N-A, here we come !!!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 04:24 AM
homers brother
Nontypical Buck

An interesting dynamic, this one of resident and nonresident hunters....

First, it's just a little bit sad that hospitality has been reduced to wishing "no luck" to another hunter.

My own experiences are tending toward the opposite. I do see more hunters on my home range anymore, but the friendlier ones are almost without exception the nonresidents. And, most of them seem to demonstrate a knowledge of the area and the terrain that comes only from years of walking it.

And then there are the residents. Anymore, especially during general seasons, they choke the roads as they scour the borrow ditches for deer, they throw you a scowl when you drive around them, as if you'd just wrecked their chance to shoot a monster buck like they see the hosts on the Outdoor Channel TV shows do. And they complain about the nonresidents - almost as if they're to blame for roadhunting not being as productive as they'd like. Just because you're a resident doesn't mean it should be easier for you. If it's any consolation, those kind of resident hunters are just as friendly toward other residents as they are toward nonresidents.

But maybe those high tag fees have another consequence? Just maybe - those nonresidents, having a considerable sum invested in tags and travel and with more at stake, hunt harder and hunt better than many of the residents? JMHO - it sure seems like the residents are tending more to behave more like amateurs or novices than the nonresidents.

Just a thought. Congrats on your hunt.