HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - MAY have overhunted one area, where now? Fencerow?
Old 12-03-2010, 11:30 AM
7.62NATO
Nontypical Buck

Default MAY have overhunted one area, where now? Fencerow?

I'm sorry I've posted this farm before...I just would really like some advice for a productive hunt. Thanks in advance.

Tomorrow will be the coldest day we've had so far (20 degrees in the morning). Wind usually blows from the N/NW, but has seemed to swirl quite a bit lately. Fields are cut corn, but I have not seen anything worth eating in the fields (barely a kernel here or there), and there is tons of mast on the ground in the woods. Purple line is the property line, however, I can (now) actually hunt the next property to the east...east of where you see that fencerow that bends 90 degrees.

I have been in the the forested area all the way to the west more than a few times (usually a week apart, and mostly the northern half of it), and trounced around there pretty good a few weeks ago looking for a buck that I missed. There is absolutely NO heavy cover there, and I believe, but am not sure, that all of the deer that frequent the area bed in the swamp seen to the north (too deep for me to get into). I don't have a good feeling about going in the forest to the west tomorrow, but it could all just be in my head. Problem is that I am not terribly familiar with the rest of the property.

I am not sure what was planted in the fields east of the fencerow. Would the fencerow be a good place to hunt if I set up in that nook created by the fencerow and the little strip of trees to the east of it? For some reason, I don't feel like that would be a good spot for the morning...wouldn't the deer be closer to the edges of the fields in the morning and want to start heading into the woods, making it highly likely that I would spook them if I set up there?

I have set up in that large strip of trees in the center of the property first thing in the morning, thinking the deer would slink down it to get to cover. Nothing. I have set up on that smaller SMALL pond on the eastern side of the property (not marked by water symbol), which has deer sign on lots of heavy cover. Nothing. I have hunted that small field to the north of that small pond. Nothing. I find deer sign and acorns all over the place, I just can't seem to end up in the right spot at the right time. The one thing I have NOT located is ANY bedding. Not a single bed!!

Sorry, I am probably wasting everyone's time by positing this. I am only able to scout but so much (this property isn't close to where I live). I am frustrated because I have not had a kill on that property in the 6 or 7 times I have hunted it (two last year, five this year). I had a nice shot at a buck and I blew it, and saw some does I could have taken...on an antlered only day!

Thanks again.

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 12-07-2010 at 11:53 AM.