HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - To those of you who like the challenge of hunting the big, big bucks...
Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 PM
GregH
Site Buck Guru

Originally Posted by rg87
congrats GregH, 18 deer in 19 seasons is one heck of a ratio. i finally was able to take a mature buck for the first time this season and like you said its a whole different ballgame. they are survivors. they dont get that old by being dumb. as for young hunters taking monsters... you never know what caused that buck to be moving at that time. right place at the right time. something could have spooked him and he was fleeing from there when the shot was taken. there are so many variables that need to happen correctly in order to tag one. when they get out of their beds they have a 360 degree circle in which direction to head. never know exactly where that will be. scouting helps but it ultimately is up to the buck where its going to go.

rg87, thanks for the comments and congrats on your "first". I hunted for 23 years before I got my first. It was the first year that I hunted for mature bucks because it was the first year the state gave out bonus permits. Doe for meat then hunt for horns.

There have been magazine articles written about the novice or beginners luck syndrome which I found interesting. Especially the one where the novice is told or chooses to sit by a small swale near a fence row. A place the more experienced hunters didn't want to sit. It didn't look good to them. As it turns out, the big boy thought it was perfect because nobody ever went there...... until then. Also, like you mentioned, being in the right place at the right time is another factor along with some luck.

crenshaw, I like your post and agree with all of it. Especially these points.......
I like the challenge and the reward.....
I just really love and appreciate the intelligence of Old Mature whitetail....
I admire the animals so much and thats what drives my quest.
I too use the chess analogy, good post.