HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - To those of you who like the challenge of hunting the big, big bucks...
Old 12-02-2010, 12:58 AM
GregH
Site Buck Guru

and your credentials to determine that are....? I dont expect many here to agree with me because most hunters want to believe their beloved whitetail is so smart and and crafty only a superior buckslayer such as themselves can kill one.
I've killed 18 mature bucks in the last 19 seasons. BTW, what are your credentials?

some of my biggest bucks sightings while hunting werent even in november and they were usually in the middle of the day.
True. My biggest buck sightings have been in early December. Mid day can be good in the early season but evenings are best in late season.

That said Ive seen plenty of big bucks feeding along the side of a road or field while driving during daylight hours, in fact I really dont see much difference in the behavior of "mature" bucks than any other deer.
I don't hardly ever see big bucks by the side of the road or in fields while driving by during daylight hours. I think there is a vast difference in the behavior of mature bucks. They're like hunting another species.

deer get hit by cars all year long, what does the rut have to do with it?
Really!!?? November always records the most deer/car accidents of any other month. Why do you think that is?

All deer are pretty much more active at night.

Comon, lets use some common sense for a moment, Im sure some deer are smarter than others, but isnt it highly possible that some "smart" deer dont make it to maturity because they just happened to get wacked before they could get big, and some less smart bucks make it to 4,5,6... years old and grow huge racks, simply because they managed to dodge the grim reaper for a while longer?
Mature bucks have a propensity to be nocturnal more than the "other" deer. Deer that make it to 4,5 or 6 years old are not less smart. Why do you think they're still alive?