HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - To those of you who like the challenge of hunting the big, big bucks...
Old 12-01-2010, 11:09 AM
OntElk
Typical Buck

I enjoy the rush when I pull the trigger. I don't get that rush when I shoot a doe, fawn or small buck anymore. QDM, meat blah, blah, blah I am not afraid to be honest and say I enjoy that adrenaline rush. I have no issue with QDM and respect the fact the meat gets used if I kill something but if it's comes easy after sitting 5 mins in the stand or after a season of hard work I still enjoy that rush at the moment. Getting the old, wise buck after hunting him hard just adds to the story to tell your buddies and the online forums. In other words it's about ego. Whatever. I'm fine with that! Just be honest. If we could all kill 150 plus inchers with more ease we would take it.

Your dumb 190 inch versus smart 110 inch is a great analogy. The only caveat is it has to be a fair chase hunting scenario. I have had close encounters with big bucks out my back porch. Never shot one that way and it's always felt not right to run and grab the gun, pop open the back door and blast one (I came close one time to doing that but never pulled the trigger). I'm not really hunting but just taking advantage of an opportunity. Kind of like stopping to pick up a road kill buck to a lesser degree. Although I WILL be honest and say if that opportunity was a 190 incher and it's a legal kill (i.e. I have tag and open season), then my door jamb becomes a rest for the .30-.30.

Now party hunting in a group and we have unfilled tags I still will enjoy a little meat hunting fun in some cases as well.