HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Favorite bolt action centerfire
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 06:57 PM
Centaur 1
Nontypical Buck

I own a Remington 700BDL in 30-06 that I bought new in 1976. It's a great gun, a lot more accurate than I am. I did some research on the alleged trigger problem and there's two sides to the story and I figure the truth is somewhere in the middle. Remington claims that in every accidental discharge that was reported in that story, the triggers were all worked on by the owners to try and reduce the trigger pull. The one story where the husband shot his wife, he was carrying the rifle with the sling over his shoulder and the gun went off when he took it off his shoulder. It seems that this guy doesn't use his safety while hunting, he was walking around with the safety off while wearing a heavy jacket. It just may have been an accidental discharge or the trigger might have caught on his coat, either way if the safety was on his gun wouldn't have fired. Remington does admit that the safety can be "tricked", if the safety is placed in between position and you pull the trigger the gun won't fire. At that point the trigger has disengaged but the safety prevents it from firing. If you move the safety to the on position it resets the trigger, but if you move the safety off before resetting the trigger, the gun will fire. I wonder how many other brands of rifles will do the same thing? If you find one you like, check it out carefully before you buy it, but keep in mind that the problems they have are with a small percentage of guns. Even if some of them do discharge when you take the safety off, the gun should always be pointed away from anyone. Of course I now have an excuse to replace the trigger with a fancy high dollar one before I pass the gun on to my son.