HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First time gun owner... what to purchase and where
Old 11-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Thresh33
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Thresh,

My recommendation is to buy an entry level shotgun to see if you are going to like the shooting sports and hunting game.

It seems you are a novice, so who knows what the future holds ?
Hit the nail on the head. Complete novice here, which is why I requested some expert opinions.

The general consensus here sounds like the 870. The only thing I'm thinking is that it might be a few years until I actually get a chance to go deer hunting, seeing as my brother is the one who does it and I kinda need him to get back into it for me to be able to.

And seeing as I definitely am a novice, i'm just wondering if a pump shotgun is going to be a good deal more difficult for trap then an over under. In the stations i was consistently getting about 5/10... obviously not very good, though it was my first time.

That was with an over/under, and I'm just hesitant to go with the 870 because I think it will add more difficulty. I'm quite torn here! Though for the price it seems like my best option is the 870 since it will allow me to do a lot more in the future