HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First time gun owner... what to purchase and where
Old 11-29-2010, 08:22 PM
rmrvette
Spike

Thresh 33, like that "Uncle" before me said, I wouldn't shoot slugs out of an over and under. Doesn't mean I wouldn't love to have one, I just don't yet. That Winchester 1400 is still in my gun safe. It was given to me by my dad on my 16th birthday. My first shotgun. I'm 56 now. It's a fixed, modified choke. I don't shoot slugs out of it either. A lot of clay birds have been broken with 870 wingmasters. Alot more with the "venerable" 1100 automatic. The 1187 is just the "next generation" of the 1100. You can likely find one of these in great shape used if you look around a little bit. I love mine and it ain't for sale but I'll bet you can find one much more reasonable than a grand. The added advantage over the 1100 was that it will also shoot 3" magnam shells. Some of the 870s will as well. My son's 870 is a 20 guage and has the "magnam reciever" which allows it to shoot 3" magnam shells. The advantage of the autoloaders other than the lighter recoil is that you do not have to work the action to get off the next shot. I'm not all that used to pump action guns and sometimes have not quite gotten the action closed to take the next shot. It's a learned experience, and I've not had as much with pumps as with autos. My first was an auto after all. Head back out to that shooting club and look around. I'll bet you can still see a few of the pumps and autos being used. I'll also bet if you talk to some of those guys, you can shoot a couple of different guns and see what you like best. ...and no you don't need to get it all at once. Start with your 870 or 1187 skeet gun, vent rib barrel. Buy the full choke tube and the wrench to change the tubes. (if you don't decide to buy a package with choke tubes included or even a combo package with a deer slayer barrel included) Two chokes will get you started. One skeet and deer slugs (imp. cyl) and one trap and long range upland game and birds (Full Choke) Just let that rabbit run a little further. Full choke will make him disapear in a cloud of fur at 10 yards or so.