HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First time gun owner... what to purchase and where
Old 11-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Thresh33
Spike

Default First time gun owner... what to purchase and where

Hey there I recently just went trap shooting with my Dad and half-brother, it was the first time I had ever been out shooting before and I really enjoyed it. My brother hunted with his Dad when he was younger and has killed several deer and he wants to get back into it.

Long story short is I had a great time trap shooting and would also one day like to hunt with my brother. I've never owned a gun before but am looking for opinions on what to buy. The gun I rented was an over and under break action 12 ga shotgun.

I'm trying to stick around $400 dollars and I am not sure where to buy a gun, based on gander mountain's website they only had one of this type of shotgun in my price range.

My questions are, is this the ideal type of shotgun for trap shooting? Would this type of gun be okay to one day hunt with? Also, where else can I look to purchase a gun from? Last, I saw several more pump action shotguns that were in my price range, but based on the guns I saw at the place we were at, everyone had the over and under break action type of gun. Would a pump action shotgun work for what I want to do?

Thanks in advance!