HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Buck + Lost blood trail= Worst two days of my life!
Old 11-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Pope94/IA
Nontypical Buck

Default Lifetime Buck + Lost blood trail= Worst two days of my life!

Some of you may recall this buck I posted this summer... and a few weeks ago of me missing him...

Well lastnight me and my girlfriend were walking around and I killed a doe and we were heading back to the cabin to get knives and stuff and we got to the field behind our cabin and their was like 10-15 does and 3 or 4 bucks in there and they all saw me and took off except for this big guy... He just stayed there and kept eating. Well he was along this new fenceline that my grandpa and neighbors put in so I crawled along the fenceline real low to get closer and he was probably 70-80 yards away just getting ready to jump the fence when I accidently broke a small twig that made a loud noise and that buck got curious and started walking that fenceline straight for me! I had 0 cover.. I was hiding behind a wooden fence post. The only cover I did have was the low light... Well im hiding behind the post with my bow ready to pull back and he walks in front of me 20 yards out and I pulled back and he never even sees me. I stop him and let my arrow fly and I dont know what happend or why I did it but I didn't even watch where the arrow hit him. I aimed at 20 yards right in his vitals, pulled my trigger on the release, and all I could see was my arrow flying out the other side of him... And then my eyes went straight to his rack!!!! He was a monster! The picture of him above doesn't even justify it.. That picture was during the first week of july! He still had growing. I found my arrow and their was some blood on it and hair and me and my girlfriend went to get my doe cleaned out and then we went to go look for the buck. I had a decent blood trail but then it stopped... Nothing. For 5 hours that night and about all day today 7 of us guys looked for that buck in probably a 2 mile radius. No sign of him at all.

When I shot him, you probably would have never seen a more happy teenager in his life! I was jumping up and down not even able to talk, shaking with excitement, voice raised up high, everything! I was like that all night until we went to look for him. Then once we lost the blood trail I felt miserable! I couldn't even sleep at all that night.
I dont know what else we can do.. we looked everywhere possible for him.. and it sucks because shotgun season is next weekend and if he did die some where some guy will end up finding him and taking him.