HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer vs. 30-06
Thread: Deer vs. 30-06
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 04:03 PM
littlekid
Spike

By "keyhole" I'm refering to when you have atleast two rounds passing "almost" through the same hole and you are left with a small tear from the second round. It looks like the keyhole of an old skeleton key. I had an OLD 30-30 the rounds would tumble and this is a much different pattern. I appologize for the confusion with the terminology I use. My greatest concern is why did I find the jacket of my round separated from the lead, and there be no blood on it. It's like the round expanded prior to impact. The more I ponder on it, it's like I'm shooting a proximity fused round (where it fragments just prior to actual impact). I forgot to mention, the distance of shoot was only 60-70 yards on both animals.
On the flip side, my father just shot a doe yesterday (75 yds distant with same box of ammo) and his dropped where she stood and her guts where laid out on the ground. No gutting necessary. The only differance is that he shoots a Rem. 700, and I, a Savage 111. Very puzzling to say the least.