HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What’s the proper balance of family (or significant other), chores and hunting?
Old 11-22-2010, 05:03 AM
7.62NATO
Nontypical Buck

Default What’s the proper balance of family (or significant other), chores and hunting?

My impractical (and probably selfish) view is:

Hunting season is only two months long, we can’t hunt on Sundays in VA, I’m only able to take a few days off from work to hunt, so on Saturdays, I’M GOING HUNTING. ALL DAY!!

Now, in reality, that doesn’t fly (and I would never actually say that to my wife). We have two kids (4 & 1), and they can be a handful. I appreciate that my wife looks after them by herself (I know it can be a little stressful) when I do go hunting all day, but I almost kind-of expect it. Like, I would do the same for her if there was something seasonal that she was as passionate about (she obviously knows how passionate I am about it, but I truly don’t think she understands. Sunday is a good day to spend with the family, and it’s not like I don’t spend time with them EVERY night after work. The outside chores get neglected a bit (can’t really spend time with the fam on Sunday if I’m outside working), so it’s either one or the other. IMO, the leaves can wait until January! They’ll still be there. 

Anyway, I am just feeling a little frustrated because yes, I am OBSESSED with hunting, but I feel like my wife is just doing what she can to deal with it, and I can tell. Like, although she isn’t saying it, I get the feeling she thinks I’m neglecting my family and responsibilities by going all day.

What’s your situation with your family/significant other?