HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer hunting with pistol calibers
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 09:48 AM
justinbaki
Spike

I use a 10mm to hunt with and have killed quite a few with it. I use hornady xtp 180 grain JHP bullets loaded hot, I get about 1200fps out of it. You can do even better with ammo from buffalo bore or doubletap. I have busted through both shoulders with it before, it is quite lethal. The exit wounds can be pretty nasty. I took a doe with it last year at about 40 yards and she dropped where she stood. Where I hunt, even though it is rifle legal, it is very close to the suburbs and it makes me more comfortable to use a pistol when I can. I have talked to people that have dropped black bear, hogs, and even an elk with the 10mm. You can find some stories online about people dropping grizzlies with them (which I would never recommend!)

I like the 10mm because it can be delivered in a much smaller automatic pistol than the often bulky hunting revolvers. It isn't a 410 corbon, but it is in the same energy range as a .357 or .41 magnum. It is legal in many states (and sometimes one of the only automatic pistols that are legal). In my opinion, it makes a great deer hunting pistol.