HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Crazy Morning!
Thread: Crazy Morning!
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Maddog10
Fork Horn

Default Crazy Morning!

So I awoke in startling fashion this morning to the piercing sound of our smoke alarms going off, only to find out it was my mom in the kitchen frying bacon. This was at 6:00, and I planned on being in the stand by 5:45 (yea, I was waaay late.) Well I almost just said forget it since I was so late, but I figured I'm awake so I might as well be in the stand. I rush to get to the property, only to find someone else had taken the four-wheeler. Well I hike probably close to a mile through the woods in pure daylight before I make it to my stand. By the time I got there I was so frustrated that I was beginning to wonder why I even came. So far I had spooked 4 does, was sweaty from the hike, and made all kinds of racket trying to get myself to the stand and set up. I finally got set up in the stand right around 7, with very low expectations for the hunt.

Well apparently God felt sorry for me, because I hadn't sat down for more than 20 seconds and a doe came walking right past the stand. After that the rest of the morning was a blur. I lost count, but know I saw 25+ deer this morning, and passed on a very good 8-pointer that has me second guessing myself now. I had the crosshairs on him, and just couldn't make up my mind if he was the one I wanted to end my season on. If he walks out again, he might not get so lucky. At one point, I had 8 deer all within 25 yards of the stand. It was one of those mornings that I was afraid to even scratch my nose because I felt like I was being watched at all times. From 7:00 to 9:00, I never went more than 2 or 3 minutes without having a deer in sight. Anyways, I just wanted to share my story. It's crazy how things work sometimes. After what I thought was going to be a waste of time, this morning turned out to be one of the most exciting hunts I've had in years!