HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ways to stretch archery season?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 04:56 AM
Lady Forge
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
turkey, all you need is some calls. i guess you could hunt some coyotes may need some predator calls. uh idk what else you have in iowa? elk? bear?
I did just that when I was feeling the same way as you... I decided to go after Fall Turkey ( here in Illinois we can take turkeys of either sex in the fall with the bow and an otc permit that costs 5.50 ) I decided to do spot and stalk sometimes for the challenge and sometimes setup behind natural ground blinds in areas I knew they liked to roost in the mornings and evenings, and it took me 2 years to get my bird( missed one , shot over its back the first year )... but it was worth the challenge, since I did get to spot and stalk a little ways on my 1st archery turkey.
For Squirrells... just get some real cheap arrows then you wont sweat the cost of loosing, breaking them while your having fun and get them fletched Flu Flu style.
Coyote hunting as well is a blast!!! I hate yotes, Ive had them ruin more deer hunts than I can remember.
Look into bowfishing, its not expensive and we have even gone around xmas time with coats and handwarmers on,I can bowfish almost year round, except when the ice is there on most lakes, but then we go to a warm water discharge lake that is kept from icing up by the warm water discharge from the nuclear power plant and that lake is full of carp and buffalo.
Look into shooting coons , we can here, they are are very numerous and carry distemper and all kinds of nasty stuff, possums are fun to since they are usually a pretty slow moving target, Thats what I need sometimes
You might want to look into shooting birds, such as pheasent , although I have no idea if that is allowed in your state ? ground hogs etc... The Flu Flu arrows are a good setup for squirrells and flying birds. I make alot of them for customers for those purposes.
There is always something out there in season