HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer and Farm Equipment
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Breechplug
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Now now Breechplug. Let's not be too judgemental.

I don't hunt in farm country. We're in a pine tree plantation area - no crops around at all. Also no oak or other mast trees to speak of. When the pines are young (first ten years after clear cut) you can't see ten feet, much less walk through them.

We put in a lot of work planting and maintaining small food plots to hunt over, and also use feeders which throw out a pound or two of corn in the morning and afternoon. It's about the only effective method in this terrain unless you want to hunt the roads. You can see the feeder out there on this half-acre plot.

Bucks don't come out on the open plots very often. But when the does are hot and feeding on the plot the bucks will sometimes show themselves.

So I ask this. What's the difference between my hunting a plot that I planted and throw corn on (with quite a bit of work and expense I might add), and you hunting a farmers field (no work/expense) that he planted and left corn on, or an oak or fruit tree that's dropping mast?
Semi, Im Not being Judgemental. I said if it's Legal where you live and Hunt than that's fine. I understand your Circumstances totally. Now just because I live in Farm Country does'nt mean it's all wide open with crop fields and woods. We have what they call (Red Brush) it grows pretty high 8-10' and is so THICK that if you died in there they'd find you standing up. Also it's so thick that sometimes you have to crawl through it just to get through it and thats a chore! Yes the Deer Love this and hide in it. We do drive it but the Deer just run circles in it. And some of the red brush go's on forever. And in the redbrush there's Briars, Wild Rose that'll Tear You apart and if you get caught in it you'll have a hard time getting out. I carry Pruining Shears with me when I go in it so if I get stuck I can cut my way out. And there's no need to bring a Gun in there if your a Driver on a Drive as you wont be able to shoot anyway, you'll have all you can do to just get out of it. So Yea we have Thick Stuff like you've never seen.
And as I said, there's NO difference in Baiting or Hunting a Planted Field, but we cant Bait but we can Hunt the Crops. I did'nt mean to and Im sure I did'nt....put anyone down for how they Hunt. I was saying that Hunting from a Moving Vehicle or stopped or wahtever just is'nt right, and that's just My Opinion and that's what My Comments were about.
(BP)