HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hoping to plan a MT hunt... help appreciated
Old 11-10-2010, 06:53 PM
BravoKilo
Spike

Default Hoping to plan a MT hunt... help appreciated

Currently in pharmacy school and have an opportunity to do an out-of-state rotation with the Indian Health Service in either Crow Agency or Lame Deer, MT for a month next year (any time between fall 2011 - spring 2012). Currently thinking of taking a few extra days/week off afterward and see if I can set up a hunt. Was hoping some of you guys could lend your expertise so I can see if this is even feasible to do.

First off I want to mention that my hunting experience is pretty much in its infancy and has only been with turkey and whitetail in Michigan, but given this opportunity to possibly do big game out west I have to at least entertain the idea

Anyway, I looked into possibly doing a guided hunt, but at the moment it looks like they're all out of my price range (student loans can only be stretched so far, unfortunately... unless someone knows of a good deal)... so it looks like it will have to be a hunt on public land (or if I can manage to make friendly with a land owner the month I'm there). That being said, I'm unfamiliar with MT hunting, specific districts and licenses, so... what type of game could I expect to hunt in the area and which would I have the best odds at drawing a tag and actually having a shot (pun intended) at on public land?? As I mentioned, assuming I land the position, I will be in either Crow Agency or Lame Deer, ~60-100 miles east of Billings but have no issue driving a few hours in any direction.

Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!