HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Some antlers from camp!
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 12:20 PM
CDBHunter
Spike

Originally Posted by accman
Nice racks. Love the picture of Fenway in the background. I had the opportunity to see my first Yankee / Redsox Game at Fenway in October. Probably the classiest stadium I've ever seen, real old-time amenities, and they don't gouge you for tickets either. Real family oriented, and the fans around us were great. Unlike the raping of the true Yankee fan, love the team, but at the expense of those fans who put out for all those years and now can't afford to keep their seats. Sorry for the vent. Didn't mean to hijack.

CDB, some of our guys went on a trip to Maine 2 years ago and were disappointed to find out the year before, Maine had a terrible winter, and lost about 60% or more of it's deer population to winterkill. Did that effect your area. I believe they went to the Northern part of Maine and they didn't even see a deer for a whole week. 12 other outfitters within the area, 2 bucks taken in total, and few sightings. Tough paying all that money and not seeing a deer. One of the guys went a couple of years before the trip and got a huge 8 like your first one, and deer all over the place. Just wonderin. Thanks.
Yes, maines deer population is way down. It is even worse in northern maine. Some countys didn't tag deer at all. The area I hunt was also affected. The state cut down on doe permits and very few deer were shot. The tagging station in our town up until the 2 bad winters was tagging 200-250 deer a season. This past season they didn't top 70! needless to say my tag went unfiiled along with many others. Although along the coast where weather is much more mild deer wearn't as badly affected. So if you come for a maine hunt, stear toward southern and central parts of the state. There are still a lot of big bucks you just need to look a little harder!

Good Luck!!